Indier Than Thou: Julie Doiron's Woke Myself Up

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Julie Doiron's Woke Myself Up


I've decided to take a break from my top ten and write about something new! I'm halfway through my first listen of the new Julie Doiron record, and I'm liking it more than any of her other records. The guys from her old band, Eric's Trip appear on Woke Myself Up, and it has elements of ET, but I think I might like it better than any Eric's Trip record as well. It's sortof taking the best of her solo stuff and the Eric's Trip stuff and putting it together. I love the creepy harmonies of "swan pond" and PERFECT heart-wrenching harmonies of "no more/no more". It's a little more up tempo than her previous solo records, and I think her writing style has matured as well. Call me crazy, but most of her previous solo albums had songs about her baby crying, or about how she misses her kids...or just really obvious slightly boring lyrics-so I think this album's an improvement...slightly broader subject matter, or less obvious anyway....like instead of her saying "crying baby, crying mother, that's what I am" she'll do a more general observation like "You're feeding your kids the best you can with what you've got". I'd give it an "A".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home