Indier Than Thou: Wolves!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Wolves!


This is a, um, wolf. C/O Google Images, where else. I especially like how that gisele...horse...thing just stands off to the side, like Dick Cheney in that one youtube video, or you know, the wolf's modeling agent. He's ready to make a hit on whoever tries to renegotiate his client's contract. However, the wolf's poses smack of stasis and his career will go nowhere.

Anyway, yes, of course, it's been noticed before. Wolves, or well, the word at least (both plural and singular...) are everywhere - everywhere! There are other words like that, too, that just kind of pop up in songs and song titles and band names and such, so watch out because this may become a regular thing - this week, wolves, next week: the sea. Maybe.

Anyway it took me about twelve years to figure out how to put up these mp3...things...so I hope this works for you.

Wolves at Night - Manchester Orchestra
I begin here with what is hands down my least favourite track on the list. I accindentally uploaded it with the rest of the stuff and it's got the wolf thing so I might as well leave it. It's all just noise, made even more grating and unpleasant to listen to by his nasally and awkward-sounding voice. Enjoy.

The Wolf - Miniature Tigers
Oh, the dreaded handclaps! Not only do I hate them no matter what the context, this is worse because the song already has this very marked, pounding, repetitive thumpy-ness about it. The lyrics are kind of lame, also... "I'm on your trail, I can smell your blood, I've had enough with unrequited love", okay. Kind of a weird metaphor. And then it seems he forgets the metaphor altogether to moan for a while about how "everyone's looking at you like they want to...everybody's looking at you like they want to..." want to what? Oh, go home with you. Sure, I want to take a wolf home, and have it in my bed, and share rabies with it (by the way the new Chuck Palahniuk book is not good). All things considered, though, I kind of like this one.

The Reputation of Ross Francis - My Latest Novel
Because I love this song, and the album it's on - which is of course called "Wolves". Oh, it's gorgeous. If there's one song here that you bother downloading, let it be this one (if you've not already of course).

Say Wolf in the Summertime - Page France
I apologise for the sound quality. Just imagine, though, how good it could sound on a proper recording, or how it would've been live - when he sings, "damn near fell in love..." or later, when the girl comes in, or, "why do you care when the notes go wrong/I'll sing it for me, it's my own damn song..." - this is absolutely the best spring/summer song, or at least, my favourite, for now. If only I could find a better version of it...

Bluebells - Patrick Wolf
You know.

The Bonsai Tree - Peter & the Wolf
Anyone I have shown this song to thus far has hated it...why!? It's so simple and sweet, and as absolutely lame as this sounds, if Bonsai trees could make music I say they'd sound a little like this. I was really fond of the Peter & the Wolf story with music when I was a kid (regretfully, I've got it only on vinyl and am too lazy for Limewire so no mp3's...), and I flipped when I found I liked this (band? guy?) almost as much. Again, this is a more or less seasonally appropriate song, I think. I love spring far too much for my own good.

Middle Distance Runner - Sea Wolf
You're A Wolf - Sea Wolf
Well then. This is all very folksy stuff, so I'm sorry if you hate it. I like Middle Distance Runner best but the other obviously has the more appropriate title. Is it May 8th yet? Sea Wolf's EP, Get To The River Before It Runs Too Low (lyrics from this very song! The second one, that is), comes out then. Not that I've heard more than maybe four songs, but I recommend it in advance but don't hit me if it sucks. I'd be excited enough to know the date today if I wasn't so broke, but hey.

Raised by Wolves - Voxtrot
I'm a hypocrite who can't think up enough wolf songs, kay, thanks, bye.

Things I Don't Know - Wolf Parade
I managed to keep Wolfmother out of this, and I held back on that one TV on the Radio song, but just couldn't keep away from both the Patrick Wolf thing and the obligatory Wolf Parade track. This is kind of new though, eh? I think? At least that's something.

And as it happens that is really all I have to say about Wolves. 'Night!

3 Comments:

Blogger Panda said...

I'm glad you left out wolf eyes too.

4:44 PM  
Blogger ____________________ said...

what is it about animal themed records? IS this meant to signify more than an appreciation for the shape of the word wolf, or the mental image it brings to mind, or whatever? Are they trying to be more like wolves--a turn to more beastial sounds in the face of so much artifical.... you know, that sort of stuff?

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That horse thing standing there is what you call a cow elk. To me the picture looks fake. two pictures put together to make one. I can't imagine a elk bull or cow standing around like that one is with a wolf standing right there.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home