Indier Than Thou: Karen Dalton - In My Own Time

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time

Nick Cave, Lenny Kaye and Devendra Banhart rave about her. Pitchfork gave the record its coveted 9.0 rating (although those guys are retarded, so who gives a fuck?). Bob Dylan was a peer. But this record is
36 years old, and Karen died, homeless and fairly unknown, in the streets of New York in 1993. Why the delay?
Well, I'm not sure. This record, Karen Dalton's second album released in 1971, was out of print ages ago, and was a rare and valuable find for those people you read about in Nick Hornby books who live in record stores. It was the Holy Grail of 70s folk. Now, it's been reissued, and over Christmas I heard for the first time her oft-described other-worldly voice, and I wish I had heard it sooner.
(work in progress)
-kit

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Clara said...

um.
you read nick hornsby?
ri-iiight.

5:55 PM  
Blogger ____________________ said...

Wait... hang on, I thought I had spelled it wrong, but no!
So, what's the deal? You don't? How To Be Good was pretty crap, but A Long Way Down was better than most Douglas Coupland.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home